Saturday, July 5, 2014

Math, Robotics, and Art


From the online lecture at 14:15, “Alberti regarded mathematics as the common ground of art and the sciences.”  Many math classes involve using the Cartesian coordinate system.  Nowadays, many artists draft their works using computer technology, which is heavily dependent on mathematics and this coordinate system to form all the shapes and lines and their appearance on the screen.  The use of mathematics is not limited to the digital; Abbott utilized much of it in his detailed story of dimensions and shapes. 

Like Gutenburg, much of current technology relies on improvements or adaptations of older models.  It is much more rare for engineers to truly create something totally different and the first of its kind.  It is equally amazing to see how the big name scientists of the past are being brought up again in this course such as Faraday and Einstein.  From the lecture, a French poet and writer, whom published an article about the beauty of cars, paved the way for the aesthetic appreciation of automobiles.  Cars nowadays can have multiple functions from performance in races to beauty competitions. 

Simple artwork such as the pumpkin shown below is one of many examples where anyone can create art with the Cartesian coordinate system.  It provides an easy way to draft and is used in both art and the development of new technology. 

This week’s topic in particular appealed to me because it emphasized art created by math and robotics.  Robotics is a huge part in my mechanical engineering major and having it connect to art provides further proof to the third culture covered in week one. 


 The use of math in the formation of art.

Art with Cartesian coordinate system


Robotic art sculpture display




Citation and References:
"A Blog AppART." A Blog AppART. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 July 2014.

"Cartesian Art Halloween Pumpkin Halloween Math Worksheet." Cartesian Art Halloween Pumpkin Halloween Math Worksheet. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 July 2014.

"David Lipson | Robotics Art." AFA NYC. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 July 2014.

"Flatland." , by E. A. Abbott, 1884. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 July 2014.

"Mathematics-pt1-ZeroPerspectiveGoldenMean.mov." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 05 July 2014.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin!
    I agree that nowadays, many artists draft their works using computer technology. I also think that the other way is true too! When I took program in computing course last year, I had a programming project in which I had to make an animation. I had to do a lot of calculation to make sure I drew the shapes at the right coordinates.
    I like your example of the halloween pumpkin drawing. I remember doing a lot of those in elementary school: connecting cartesian coordinates to create pictures. However, it never came across my mind that it had math involved until I got older.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin!
    I enjoyed your elaboration on the Cartesian coordinate system. I didn't realize how long I had actually been using it since I gave it some thought and realized that we are taught how to use it at a really young age. I agree with your comment on cars and the many uses that they have nowadays. If you think about it, almost everything has multiple uses and is never utilized for one sole purpose. I guess that's the innovation developing in our society.

    ReplyDelete